Old March 15th 21, 04:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_41_]

Default Monitor question

Bill wrote:
I have a Asus Strix 750ti GPU.Â* It has 2GB of onboard video memory and
uses 8GB of shared system memory.Â* According to its specifications, it
can apparently handle 3840x2160 resolution.

I have been happily running a monitor (Dell UltraSharp 2407wfp) at
1900x1200 native resolution. It's got about 12 years on it. I don't
really do computing which pushes the video card harder than casual games.

If I were to upgrade to a 4k monitor (3840x2160 resolution), would I
likely be pleased or unsatisfied with the results?Â* By rough math, I
think I would use about 4 times as much memory (but I don't know how to
see how much I am actually using now!)Â*Â* That's assuming that 4k uses
32-bit color too,Â*Â* Mainly I like "sharp crisp text".Â* Somehow,after
reading some reviews, I ended up considering the Dell 2721Q monitor
(which is almost $500).Â* It seems as you get bigger screens you need
finer resolution to get "sharp crisp text"! ; )Â*Â* (duh!)Â*Â* Anyone
following GPUs in the news knows that this is a rather poor time to be
in the market for a GPU.

Any comments or suggestions based upon your experience is welcome!

Bill

P.S. I should add that I would intend to use DisplayPort (v 1.4)
connector instead of DVI.