Old July 2nd 19, 11:17 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

Default S.M.A.R.T. reports bad sectors, but badblocks no errors?

On 7/2/19 5:44 PM, Grant Taylor wrote:

Now, after just one more run of badblocks, S.M.A.R.T. reports no
errors. So I assume that now a spare block is in use.

So, the disk likely did have a problem.Â* But I'm guessing it has worked
around the problem.

Now the question becomes is the problem stable and not going to grow? Or
is the problem going to spread.Â* Only time and monitoring will tell.

This is a brand-new Seagate drive, so do I return it for replacement, or
assume that the problem is now solved (false alarm perhaps), or wait
till it acts up again and get it replaced by Seagate by a "refurbished"
(i.e., tested more thoroughly than a brand-new one) drive?

BUT, since S.M.A.R.T. now reports no errors, why should either the
vendor or Seagate replace it?

Even if it craps out altogether, it's part of a RaidZ2 pool (two drives
can fail without data loss), and I do have a spare with which I can
replace it.

Perce