Old September 30th 17, 02:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Bill Cunningham[_2_]

Default old computer acting odd

"Paul" wrote in message
news
Bill Cunningham wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
news
Peter Jason wrote:
On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 16:36:49 -0400, "Bill Cunningham"
wrote:

"Paul" wrote in message

But he can "hear things loading", so it's finished POST.
Just no video.

If the video were broken bad enough, the BIOS would have
beep codes. That means, as far as the BIOS is concerned,
the system is drawing pictures on the screen. Just the path
between video output and screen isn't working. If the monitor
tests good on something else, it means a video output problem.

maybe the term "fuzzy" should be "shaky" or shaking letters. Then it
might boot and be ok. Or the screen goes blank and stays that way. The
Dell monitor power light flashes when the computer isn't sending a signal
to the monitor.

Bill

You're going to need to insert a cheap video card in there
to fix it. Since it's WinXP, an older card will be OK.
But since you like to use x64 OS, the driver availability
will be a question at this date.

You might need to get into the BIOS and select
"AGP first" if you can buy and fit an AGP card.
Or "PCI first", if you buy and fit a PCI video card
(I have one of those here, for testing). Your onboard
video will need to remain running, until you can change
that setting.

Back in that era, I was using FX5200 cards. Or today, up
until recently, I could get 6200 cards as "native cards".

If the machine had a x16 PCI express slot, you'd be
laughing, and then there's a ton of $40 cards to
choose from. Otherwise, the pickings can be pretty thin.

It's a pretty late date to be shopping for a 15 year old
machine for a new video card. I would be trying my
"surplus" guy, who buys hardware on consignment. He
doesn't have a catalog, and he "runs upstairs" and
finds stuff. And you have no way of knowing what
he'll come down the stairs with.

While places like Newegg used to have stock, the
manufacturers will eventually run out of old chips.
Although it's amazing how long they've been
able to make ATI 7000 cards.

You're going to need to identify the video slot
type, before you can shop for a card. Even if you
recycle a card from some other broken computer,
you'll still need to make sure it fits. (With
the power off of course.) Don't insert a card while
+5VSB is still running.

FX5200 AGP ~$50 (ships from Asia)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA85V6DP5103

Full height 6200 AGP at a ridiculous price

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIACUE5JD4151

HD3450 ATI for a PCI slot (and they *still* have some 7000 cards
and they're not a lot cheaper!).

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIADYY6BJ2908

That stuff should all have WinXP era drivers.

What do you think of this Paul? It's more in my price range.
https://www.outletpc.com/ez6786.html

IDK about XP drivers.

Bill