Old February 2nd 07, 02:32 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Faeandar

Default ILM and Full Text Search

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 20:54:20 -0500, Nik Simpson
wrote:

Faeandar wrote:

So, since we have two people from companies in this space I'd like to
pose the competitive question:

What are your thoughts on Index Engines?

First, right now I would not see Index Engines as a direct competitor,
they are purely a search application and don't offer much in the way of
classification or policy-based data management which is needed for ILM.

Second for enterprise wide search the problem is that when I'm looking
for document X, I'd rather find it on disk than buried on a backup tape.
If I can't find it online, then I'd go backup tape. So other than as an
application for helping me keep better track of what I've backed up I
don't see much of a future for it.

Interesting technology that I suspect will get embedded in things like
VTLs and D2D disk backup appliances. I don't see it as a standalone
technology. Good acquisition candidate for somebody in that space.

They can get metadata directly from NDMP dumps. If someone figures
out how to flag the dump to only pass the metadata then they will be
able to get an entire storage array's metadata in a matter of hours
instead of days that file crawlers will take.
Even without the flag they still get data far faster than any file
crawler.

I may have been asking far too open ended a question. My needs are
fairly simple; tell me what, where, how big, how frequently accessed,
what type of file, etc. I've no need for a deep dive of content.

I'm looking for typical SRM stats, but on a fair scale.

Hopefully this provides more to go on.

Thanks.

~F