Old January 30th 07, 10:47 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Nik Simpson

Default ILM and Full Text Search

wrote:
Hello,

I'm looking into various ILM products such as those from Kazeon, EMC,
NeoPath, etc. One question that comes up is how these products behave
when a client does a full-text search against a volume that contains
data that's been migrated away.

From what I understand, a file access causes many of these products to

bring the file back from a secondary tier. I know that some ILM API's
allow for redirection, which would seemingly avoid this issue.
However, others do not have redirection. Wouldn't this mean that a
full-text search causes the entire set of data to be brought back onto
the primary tier? Doesn't this cause capacity issues?

What am I missing? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Typically, a content search is performed against a content index, not
against the original file, so the search doesn't touch the file at all.
The file is read during the indexing process, if that occurs before
migration then the file will not be hit after migration.

PS. If you looking at this space you should also take a look at Scentric
(FTR I work for Scentric, well at least for another ten days :-)

--
Nik Simpson