Old December 21st 05, 08:42 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage

Default Network storage for home network (wifi or not?)

brady4747 wrote

So you just want to disagree with everything I just said, eh

Nope.

Main problem with the P2 is that it may not be very convenient
to have a decent amount of memory in that system, particularly
if you want to run the same OS you run on the PCs for simplicity.

Since the OP was contemplating just an enclosure, it seems
that running a gui on his network storage box is not a big priority
for him, thus as most any mobo supporting a P2 will likely to
be able to support at least 128M ram, he should be more
than fine with that amount of memory for running a file server

Pity that its obviously going to be a lot easier
if it can run the OS he is already familiar with.

There are several ready made linux installs that can whip it right
up for you, or get a debian netinst cd, use it, log in and type
'apt-get install openssh samba webmin' and you will be good to go

Not necessarily, particularly if you've never bothered
with other than the OS that runs on the PCs.

Again, in the context of the OP, he states having a mixed network at
home of Linux and WinXP. Seems he should be able to handle a little
web based configuration of samba with webmin, no? He has obviously
set up a network and wifi as well, so give the dude a little credit

It aint just about the OP and his capabilitys.

Oh, and put another smaller drive in besides your 300 gigger for the
OS so if you want to move it or switch os or something, no problem.

Makes more sense to use a small part of the main drive for that.

I guess this could be debated endlessly,

Nope.

so I will just say that it is my preference to
have OS on separate drive on my file servers,

More fool you.

even to the point of mounting some portions
read only or using flash devices for OS portion.

More fool you in spades.