Old July 23rd 03, 03:42 PM
HH

From the Compaq FAQ, reposted to the newgroup each week.
Q) Can I put a different motherboard in my Compaq?
A) Yes, but not really. The problems would be many, including:
1. Physical layout. Finding one with the same Input/output connector layout
at the back would be very difficult.
2. Onboard connectors. The front panel wires for the onn/off switch and hard
disk/power LEDs go to a single connector designed to fit the pins on the
current board. So, unless you feel comfortable cracking connectors or
re-splicing wires, don't try it.
3. Power Supply connectors on earlier models may be proprietary.
So, generally speaking for most users, the board is NOT easily upgradeable.

HH

"Dan Marchant" wrote in message
I have a DeskPro EX 866 Desktop. I am going to upgrade the mobo and many
of the components. Will a non-compaq mobo fit in the case or will that
too have to go in the skip?

Dan