Old January 22nd 18, 05:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Default I just bought a firestick

Seymore4Head wrote:
I got a firestick for my niece hoping we could drop cable and phone.
She is complaining that the programs she is trying to watch are
pausing in the middle like a Youtube video sometimes does.
We have 100Mbs down and 5Mbs up. My router is a RT-AC66U and it is
located about 30 ft from the TV.

She thinks the buffering might be because of the stations she is
trying to watch. Is there a good way to use my cell phone to check if
it is my Wifi or the Firestick?

http://www.yourkodi.com/amazon-fire-...buffering-fix/

STEP 1: Go down to the processing section and
Turn down Enable HQ Scalers to 0%

STEP 2: Disable MediaCodec (Surface)

STEP 3: REBOOT KODI AND TEST

If you still have minor issues you can try to
disable Media codec as well but try the (surface one first)

I have no idea what any of that means, except to suggest
the settings are somehow responsible for the poor performance.
I don't even know what computing devices are involved there
and what's doing the computing and what's doing the downloading.

One picture I could find, says it connects via HDMI to the TV set,
and uses a power adapter. The text in the picture, seems to imply the
HDMI cable is being used as an antenna for the internal Wifi ?
I wonder if a Wifi issue is the problem, and nothing to do
with Broadband service ?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....329209627_.jpg

I could also find a goofy setup, consisting of a USB ethernet device,
and some associated USB cabling, to fit a particular Ethernet interface
to the Firestick, and then you're no longer dependent on how well
the Wifi is working.

Thank God for toys eh. Never a dull moment.

Paul