Old February 21st 06, 04:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Looking for External HDD

SATA w/ FireWire how close is SATA speed to FireWire speed?

Mike

"John Weiss" wrote in message
"Mike" wrote...
Hi, I'm looking for an external HDD that's quiet, ,fast & dependable.
I just ordered a combo usb2 & firewire card, now I 'm looking for an
external hdd.
Previously I had read FireWire is marginally superior to USB2.

True. In practice it is a bit faster.

Any recommendations for an appx 160g (or greater) external HDD that
meets
the described critera?

Buy a Firewire/USB2 enclosure and put in your choice of HD. SATA
enclosures are available, so you could even get a WD Raptor 150. With
IDE, your choice of HDs per your favorite reviews. I just got a Seagate
300 7200.9 for mine.

PC Mag reviews like the Maxtor OneTouch II External USB Drive, but
several users
report problems with this drive. otoh, maybe it's just a few of thousands
rep[orting problems
as I'm sure most happily using the drive won't report this.

Bundled drives may not be the best performers, though they may have useful
backup software if that is your intent.