Old February 20th 06, 06:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Looking for External HDD

I've been using one of those Maxtor One Touch 160 gb drives for almost two
years now on a firewire connection and have had no trouble. We got my father
in law a WD external USB 120 gb drive a couple of years ago and that's also
going strong. I do recommend the usb.fw combination. One other thing you
could consider is simply buying your own enclosure and adding a hdd. It'll
be cheaper in the long run and you can choose the kind of back up software
to use rather than have it packaged for you with something like Retrospect,
which is not the most user friendly in comparison to some other programs
from what I've read in Magazines such as Smart Computing.

--
Jan Alter

or

"Mike" wrote in message
Hi, I'm looking for an external HDD that's quiet, ,fast & dependable.
I just ordered a combo usb2 & firewire card, now I 'm looking for an
external hdd.
Previously I had read FireWire is marginally superior to USB2.

Any recommendations for an appx 160g (or greater) external HDD that meets
the described critera?

PC Mag reviews like the Maxtor OneTouch II External USB Drive, but several
users
report problems with this drive. otoh, maybe it's just a few of thousands
rep[orting problems
as I'm sure most happily using the drive won't report this.

Mike