Old January 7th 07, 02:45 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
M.H.

Default is PostScript worth of ?

Casper wrote:
Hi,
I am stuck which of these printers is better
HP1160
HP1320
The first has only PCL5e.
The second has also PCL6 and Postscript 2, and of course costs some more.

Do you think it is worth of ?
How can I see if I need postscript ?

thank you

I think it's a mistake to focus on what PCL it supports, unless you have
specific niche requirements that you haven't mentioned (my printer
doesn't use PCL at all for Windows or Mac, only has PCL 4 for DOS
printing). The differences I think you should focus on are these:

HP Laserjet 1160:
up to 20 ppm, 600x600 dpi, 16MB memory

HP Laserjet 1320:
up to 22 ppm, up to 1200x1200 dpi, 16MB memory (expandable to 144MB),

The CPU in each is probably the same, running at 133MHz. If you need
slightly faster print speed, go for the 1320. If you're just printing
out text, 600x600 dpi should be fine. If you do some graphics, might go
for the 1200x1200 dpi. It appears that the memory on the 1160 is not
expandable, and if you do large or multiple print jobs, you'll want to
be able to upgrade the memory. Although printing at 1200x1200 dpi is of
course going to take up more memory (around twice as much? Is there
compression?). So 16MB on the 1320 might be comparable to something
closer to 32MB on the 1160, assuming that option existed.