Old September 7th 03, 12:24 AM
Jeff Sutter

(idunno) wrote in message om...
On 4 Sep 2003 19:57:01 -0700,
(Jeff Sutter) wrote:

How about Linux on one of those small cube-like shuttle barebones kits
http://us.shuttle.com/

Excellent pointers to good resources, but all are way too big. I'm
looking for something the size of a 1/2 height 5" portable CDROM
enclosure or smaller, such that it can be tossed into a [nicely
padded] briefcase for transit. Rebyte looks like a great unit, if it
actually works as stated. Cute model, too.

I had considered building a unit in a cdrom enclosure using a mini-itx
motherboard, as some others have, but that would limit me to a 2.5"
HD, which immediately puts you back in the SnapServer price range
without the performance.

If you plan to access the data on the NAS solely through the network
it doesn't matter what file system you use. Fat32 would be necessary
only if you are planning to physically remove the drive and plug it
into your Win95 box.

If it just needs to be portable and compatible, what's wrong with a
USB HDD? Through the OS of the computer you connect to you can easily
share it on the network.

Most of my reliable hardware, in a variety of locations, is Win95
vintage. Newer systems have come and gone, but the proven hardware
won't break. Win95 vintage stuff doesn't support USB well or firewire
at all; the laptops in question don't do Cardbus II, so no USB, and
frankly, USB has always proven itself an unreliable fussbudget. But
all of the systems in question support ethernet NICs just fine, so it
would seem to be the interface of choice.

Sorry I confused network disks with FAT32 - Win95 acts funny when
using Windows Networking, access volumes 32G, or with very large
directory trees. I presume an NAS box could be configured to appear
as multiple network drives of 32G, yes?

Thanks.
Jeff.