Old January 16th 18, 04:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.periphs.keyboard
B00ze

Default Unicomp Model-M a disaster (Reply to everyone)

Good day all.

I rummaged into my keyboard box this weekend, hoping to find a $10 USB
keyboard to test, but no luck, all PS/2.

But I tried my other USB Unicomp, the one without the Windows Keys. That
one does NOT freeze-up when waking the computer from sleep, however, the
lights (NumLock,...) do NOT wake-up! So when the computer goes to sleep
the lights go out but the keyboard is still active. When I wake the PC,
the keyboard gets re-detected (I still find this behaviour strange) but
the lights stay out. If I then press CapsLock, well there you go,
NumLock turns on along with CapsLock. My Unicomp with the windows keys
doesn't have that problem. I wonder if they can ship me updated controllers.

I also tested with Windows 10: Lo and Behold, the Unicomp with windows
keys gets re-detected as before, but it does not freeze. Apparently
Windows 10 has better USB drivers than Windows 7. Don't get me wrong,
the keyboards work fine, EXCEPT when it comes to powering-up/sleep, then
they are a disaster.

Andy: Yeah, I even have a PS/2 port on my current motherboard lol, but I
bought these USB ones because everything's USB nowadays + all my PS/2
Model M's do not have the Windows key. I also have USB-PS2 adapters, but
many of those do not work, I haven't tried the ones I do have.

Roger: Yeah, the Unicomp ARE the same as Model-M's; what I am thinking
of is a Cherry-MX keyboard that does not come with a light-show, and
that is roughly the same shape as a Model-M. Removable key caps would be
appreciated (it's so easy to wash a Model M).

T: Yeah, I will open a ticket, maybe I can get updated controller boards.

Thanks all.

Let's see what I can get out of Unicomp...

Regards,

--
! _\|/_ Sylvain /
! (o o) Memberavid-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/SPCA/Planetary-Society