Old October 5th 17, 10:04 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
VanguardLH[_2_]

Default "Yes, Backblaze Just Ordered 100 Petabytes of Hard Drives"

Lynn McGuire wrote:

Lynn McGuire wrote:

"Yes, Backblaze Just Ordered 100 Petabytes of Hard Drives"
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/400-p...cloud-storage/

I had not even heard of the new 12 TB drives. And I did not know that
the helium filled drives require less power.

Less air resistance (drag). Helium is lighter so turbulence incurs less
force to move (less mass for the turbulence). As I recall, helium
drives consume 23% less power, and they run about 4-5 C degrees cooler.
Unlike other drives that can breathe, helium drives must be sealed which
makes them submersible for liquid cooling so they're definitely not
affected by high humidity. Since they are sealed (cannot breathe),
wonder how their operating range is affected by pressure.