Old August 26th 10, 04:18 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Robert Myers

Default Intel's agreement with the FTC

On Aug 26, 10:58*am, Robert Redelmeier wrote:
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips Robert Myers wrote in total:

On Aug 25, 9:09*am, chrisv wrote:
Robert Myers wrote:
On Aug 20, 10:15*am, chrisv wrote:
Robert Myers wrote:
Good news for fanboys. *For the industry? *For real consumers? *What a
joke.

LOL. *What a "surprise" to see Mr Myers rushing to the defense of his
beloved Intel.

What scummy behavior, on their part.

May I see your God credentials, please? *Or are you totally
unacquainted with scripture?

Weird.

I don't think it's weird at all.

You speak in a peremptory fashion, as if your judgments were obvious,
indisputable, and final. * Leaving our readers across the Atlantic
out, we live in a country where some huge fraction of the population
claims to be Christian. *Never mind what reality those claims
correspond to, they reflect a publicly-stated allegiance to a set of
values that should have some consonance with judgments that are
obvious, indisputable, and final.

The only real content of your post is moral judgment. *According to
the commonly-accepted text, moral judgment is a job to be left to
God. * Either

1. You are out of line with publicly-declared allegiances to values,
or

2. You have some credentials that qualify you to judge for God.

Robert.

Wierder and wierder -- defending a non sequitur. *Did he hit a nerve?

To recap: *chrisv accused you of being an Intel fanboy.
Obviously his personal judgement which others may share.
He also accused the Intel/FTC settlement of being scummy. *Ditto.

Nothing outside USENET norms. *Deity nowhere claimed or involved.

The are Usenet norms? Would that include all of alt.*? I guess
pretty much anything goes.

We are off, here, into moral proclamations, a favorite pastime of
many, including you.

If you are going to make moral announcements as if you had the
standing to do so, then it stands to reason that you should exhibit
some knowledge of and consonance with the beliefs of the culture in
which you made your announcements.

No matter what you or I may personally believe, our culture at least
nominally subscribes to a set of values that proscribes, among other
things, placing oneself in the seat of judgment which, in the standard
formulation, is reserved to God. It matters not in the slightest
whether you have included any religious material in your announcement
or what you actually believe. If you presume to be a moral arbiter,
you have to establish your moral standing to *be* a moral arbiter.

You can disagree, vehemently, if you wish, with assumed cultural
norms, but you can't at the same time make your announcements as if
they would be manifestly acceptable to everyone.

Robert.