Old April 17th 18, 03:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
SC Tom

Default Extra Recovery Partitions

"Paul" wrote in message
news
SC Tom wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message
. 28...
"SC Tom" wrote in news
Running Win10 Home x64 on a system I built, but using a HDD from a
Lenovo that is out of use. I used the same OS installation- it found
and installed the drivers I needed for the new MB and CPU, and
everything runs like nothing was changed.
Opening Disk Management shows some extra partitions that I don't think
I need, but am not sure which ones to keep, and which to delete.
Here's a screen shot of DM:

http://tinypic.com/m/ju7jfm/3

If I right-click on any partition other than the Boot one, my only
option is "Help", which brings me to:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...disk-managemen
t/overview-of-disk-management#about-those-extra-recovery-partitions

I'm willing to bet the OEM and the 30GB ones are from the Lenovo, but
how do I tell, and how do I get rid of them if they are?

Thanks!

I was able to use Mini Tool Partition Wizard to explore the contents of
the
recovery partion on my system drive.

Thanks, that's just what I needed!
The 500MB partition is labeled LRS_ESP, which seems to be the Lenovo EFI
System Partion, according to googling.
The 30GB one is labeled LENOVO_PART, and contains old files that I
believe would be to recover back to factory state using the OneKey
boot-up, if it was still in the Lenovo PC.

I think I'll blow both of them away, but not before I create a disk image
:-)

Thanks again for your help!

So what's in an EFI partition exactly ?

Does it have a .wim file ?

Or does it have just a few .efi files ?

I can never keep track of why there are
so many "emergency this and that" things
in these installs.

The 30GB might be safer to toss.

And is there an Active flag in there somewhere ?
You'd probably want to preserve whatever
partition has the Active flag. That's if there
is one.

Paul

It had a.wim and a WinRE folder and a few Lenovo related files. My guess it
was the start folder when one pressed the F12 key on boot-up and restored to
factory (which, in this case, WAS Win8). The 30GB partition had the
reinstallation files and the drivers to go with it. Got rid of both and
merged them with my C: partition. Boots just fine :-)
--

SC Tom