Old November 17th 03, 04:51 PM
Don Crano

Thanks for the reply;

Double checked, and checked again, the 80 conductor and power cables.

So far have tried: Setting drive jumpers from cable select to Master/Slave,
setting bios from Auto to User set up. And as noted went over all cabling.

Results are still the same. Boots fine first time after any or all the above
changes. Drive (0) is properly detected by bios. Win Xp runs fine, and both
drives appear to be proper in Win Xp.

Shut system down, or place in standby for approx. 1 hour or more, and bios
ends with a boot failure error. Depending on which setup used from above,
either PIO mode ends up 0, instead of mode 4, or drive ID is wrong, instead
of WD1200BB, it is ID'ed as WD1200@B either case results in the BIOS error,
Boot Failure showing.

When the boot failure error happens, found the following will correct it:
1) reboot from another device, either floppy or CD. Do not have to load or
execute any apps, just let it boot. Re-boot and system will boot properly
again, till it is shut down or in standby for 1 hour or more, then it
happens again.
2) takes longer, but also found that let it set at boot error for approx.
10 - 15 min. Then cold boot system and it will boot properly again till shut
down.

I have installed a few HD's over the years, but this one is new to me. Never
had a system act this way before.

About the only thing I can think of to try next is pick up another 80
conductor cable and try it. After that, I guess the next would be to swap
drives and make the new drive the boot drive and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies, and am still open to ideas or suggestions!

Don

"PC Gladiator" wrote in message
Did you double check all the cable and power connections especially at the
motherboard? Many times when putting in new drives or repositioning the
cables, they get pulled up a little or up on one end.