Old November 17th 03, 12:21 AM
Edward J. Neth

Is the drive jumpered properly (most likely cable select; match the setting
on the original drive)?

"Don Crano" wrote in message
Computer is a 700xl 2.4gig p4 1gig of RDram.

I added a second WD 120gig HD and now the system will fail to boot from a
cold start.

It appears that BIOS will not properly config drive (0) the orginal drive.
When I first installed the second drive, drive (1), bios found it and
properly auto configed for it. System booted properly, and Win XP found

it,
and let me apply signature, partion, and format it. Looking at MMC, says
both drives are healthy, and drive C (0) is the boot or system drive.

Closed up the case, rebooted and all was well, no problems at all, and
diskmanager still states both drives are healthy.

After a while, had some other things to do, so let system go into standby.

few hours later, when I went to wake the computer up, it would not relog
back into XP. Did a reboot and got a boot failure from BIOS. Tried

several
times with no luck. Booted from WD's floppy and everything checked out ok,
did a reboot and the system properly booted.

Tried several cold boots after that and all was again proper, and boot was
fine in each case. Shut the system down over night, and again at first

cold
boot got the boot failure message from BIOS. This time I rebooted from the
WIN XP CD, and let it load up, then cancel instead of install or repair.
Rebooted and all was ok again.

This seems to be consistant factor, let the system off or in standby for
several hours, and it will fail to boot, boot from either CD or Floppy, no
action just let it boot, then I can reboot the system and all is fine.

Only difference I can find, using the tab key to look at what BIOS is

doing,
is the following difference.
When the system will boot properly, drive (0) is set to PIO Mode 4
When the system will fail to boot, drive (0) is set to PIO Mode 0
Drive (1), the new drive is always set to PIO Mode 4

Any help, suggestions, or work arounds would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks in Advance!
Don