Old September 8th 14, 01:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Default Fanless or near fanless PC 2014 ? (sub 5 watts)

Thanks for your postings,

Atom is probably too weak.

SSD is out of the question. I think defragging over regular harddisks
prevents the magnets from aligning with the earth's magnetic field
re-assuring data integrity.

For SSD's defragging would be bad, it would speed up the use of their
limited read-write cycles.

Linux could be an interesting idea though, less windows nags perhaps a
bootable DVD. I would still be a little bit worried that linux might
overheat the system. Does linux have CPU throttling capabilities like
windows has for the sumer time ?

Dell is known to be crap lol.

Web servers, email, ftp etc, all very low usage scenerios as far as I am
concerned, especially if it's a personal website, with 1 daily visiters or
less now if it was facebook it may be a different story lol.

Your reply is a typical: I used a garbage computer to run garbage occasional
software.

If you want to run instead windows, which could be considered garbage as
well just to make you a little bit happy, there is the possibilities of the
svchost.exe bug which only that alone will already make the CPU run at 50%
(100% core usage of one core) for many many minutes after boot !

Which would already be a higher usage then your webserver scenerio That's
the funny part.

Try running company of heroes on your PCs and then get bombed by firestorms
and newbelwerfers non-stop, now that would be a good test if it doesn't
crash the game... The funny thing is the fire that is displayed actually
usage some CPU/GPU intensive shader which sometimes makes my PC overheat !

Totally funny, it can also make the game crash.

Bye,
Skybuck.