Old September 7th 14, 09:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Jon Elson[_2_]

Default Fanless or near fanless PC 2014 ? (sub 5 watts)

Skybuck Flying wrote:

I need to clarify something though.

The scare about running software 24/7 also has to do with the internet,
software, windows, acrobat, flash, and all kinds of updating going on.

I've had a Linux web server with email, ssh, ftp, etc. services as well
the web server, running at home for more than a decade. Long ago, I got
hacked a couple of times, now I think I have the security set high enough
so that the idiots and even the pros are prelly well locked out.

These are run on Dell Optiplex desktop machines. My last personal
desktop was bought used, and ran non-stop for 12 years before i decided
to upgrade. The Optiplex is their commercial grade machine, not the
home grade.

As for fanless, there are Intel Atom processors that can run fanless, and
you can get fanless power supplies for them. A fanless Atom motherboard
with SSD is pretty robust. We have made a number of these for remote
device controllers.

Jon