Old November 17th 03, 12:59 AM
Rick

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 04:02:45 GMT, Rick wrote:

Installed a new Lite On XJ-HD166S DVD Rom.

Received the following message on boot:

Your Multi-function devices (Standard Dual PCI IDE controller) has
some childs devices using 32 bit drivers and others using
combatibility-mode drivers. This configuration is not supported, so
your computer has been halted to prevent corruption.
After you restart your computer, windows will use combatibility-mode
drivers for each child device attached to this multi-function device.
If you want to use 32 bit drivers, you may be able to obtain an
updated driver for the device that caused the problem by contacting
your hardware manufacturer or you can disable the device.

Never heard of childs devices--can anyone explain this?
Thanks
Rick

I failed to mention that the two times this has happened I have had to
reformat as it removes both cdroms (Lite On CDRW and LG CD Rom Drive)
from My Computer.
When I go to the device manager there are yellow exclamation marks
beside the Primary and Secondary IDE Controllers !
I have tried to remove these to reinstall drivers but it does not
work.

Thanks ,
Rick