Old November 16th 03, 06:53 PM
V W Wall

Rick wrote:

Installed a new Lite On XJ-HD166S DVD Rom.

Received the following message on boot:

Your Multi-function devices (Standard Dual PCI IDE controller) has
some childs devices using 32 bit drivers and others using
combatibility-mode drivers. This configuration is not supported, so
your computer has been halted to prevent corruption.
After you restart your computer, windows will use combatibility-mode
drivers for each child device attached to this multi-function device.
If you want to use 32 bit drivers, you may be able to obtain an
updated driver for the device that caused the problem by contacting
your hardware manufacturer or you can disable the device.

I have a Lite On (16x/48x DVD-ROM) identified by the BIOS as:
JLMS XJ-HD165H (note the "H" not "S") I have had no trouble with
the device being seen in Divice Manager as a DMA device. There is
no driver required or shown. (Win98FE). Check in your Device Manager.

Try disconnecting it, and remove any reference to it in Device Manager.
Then reconnect it, reboot and see if Windows finds it correctly. You
do need the software that came with it to play DVDs, but that should
not affect it's use as a CD ROM.

Virg Wall
--
A foolish consistency is the