Old May 2nd 04, 06:15 PM
Noël

"Bob Day" wrote in message
| "P.Melchior" wrote in message
| Hello,
|
| I've been reading the : "Help!! Webcam Novice Trying to Setup Security
| Web Cam" (4/24/2004) with great interest, and followed Noel's
| directions.
|
| But I still have problems getting my webcam on line.
|
| When a friend of mine tries to connect to the webcam with Windows
| Media Player he encounters a kind of error: after the initial
| connecting is done, and loading into buffer is 60-80% completed, WMP
| is trying to reconnect. Sometimes he is able to see the picture for a
| few seconds, than WMP freezes, trying to reconnect.
| He 's connecting to my external IP.
|
| I put up a test
|
| http:www.xs4all.nl/~pme001/streamingtest.htm
|
| But again, he isn't able to see anything. After initial connection,
| blank.
|
| I'm using WME 7.1 for encoding on a PIII 450 computer, 128 Mb RAM.
| I have a static IP, and a broadband connection. with a Thomson
| speedtouch modem. I configured both internal and external IP's.The
| webcam I use is an ADI C350.
|
| If I alter the IP's in "streamingtest.htm" from my external IP to my
| local machine name or it's IP, upload the file to my provider, open
| the HTML, I see a perfect streaming video.
|
| What is the upload speed of your broadband connection on
| the computer you're doing the encoding on? Possibly, you're
| encoding at too high a rate. Try broadcasting at a very low rate,
| such as 56 Kbps, then work up from there. Are you on DSL or
| a cable modem?
|
| -- Bob Day
| ------------------------------------------------------
| Free "HomeSentinal" webcam surveillance software at
| http://bobday.vze.com, bottom of page.

Bob is 100% correct in this! Start with a low bit rate, and work your way
up!

What I can see from your stream (just tested it and it was working fine for
me) is that you are now streaming at 29.1 Kbps with 15 fps.
I'm not sure if your friend still got the problem, but I do not really think
that you can go much lower than this!

Let me know if you get stuck!

Noël

--