Old May 2nd 04, 05:58 PM
Bob Day

"P.Melchior" wrote in message
Hello,

I've been reading the : "Help!! Webcam Novice Trying to Setup Security
Web Cam" (4/24/2004) with great interest, and followed Noel's
directions.

But I still have problems getting my webcam on line.

When a friend of mine tries to connect to the webcam with Windows
Media Player he encounters a kind of error: after the initial
connecting is done, and loading into buffer is 60-80% completed, WMP
is trying to reconnect. Sometimes he is able to see the picture for a
few seconds, than WMP freezes, trying to reconnect.
He 's connecting to my external IP.

I put up a test

http:www.xs4all.nl/~pme001/streamingtest.htm

But again, he isn't able to see anything. After initial connection,
blank.

I'm using WME 7.1 for encoding on a PIII 450 computer, 128 Mb RAM.
I have a static IP, and a broadband connection. with a Thomson
speedtouch modem. I configured both internal and external IP's.The
webcam I use is an ADI C350.

If I alter the IP's in "streamingtest.htm" from my external IP to my
local machine name or it's IP, upload the file to my provider, open
the HTML, I see a perfect streaming video.

What is the upload speed of your broadband connection on
the computer you're doing the encoding on? Possibly, you're
encoding at too high a rate. Try broadcasting at a very low rate,
such as 56 Kbps, then work up from there. Are you on DSL or
a cable modem?

-- Bob Day
Free "HomeSentinal" webcam surveillance software at
http://bobday.vze.com, bottom of page.