Old February 29th 04, 05:42 PM
philo

"GJ" wrote in message
. ..
I seriously need help as I'm completely clueless as to what's the

problem...

Problem: My friend wanted me to look at his computer as it looked like it
had gone, which it was. Got new hard drive (Maxtor 40GB Fireball 3

5400RPM)
and tried to install it. Turns out that the motherboard seemed to have

gone
as well. Suggested he get a basic system without hard drive and I would

fit
hard drive and his CD writer and DVD rom to the new system. Got case,
motherboard (ECS / ASROCK M810LMR) chip (Duron 1600 mhz) all assembled and

put in hard drive, CD and DVD drives. Pretty straightforward so far...

Set computer to boot from CD, Stuck in the XP CD, get to the "press a key

boot from cd" and try to format the harddrive to NTFS. The formatting

gets
to 100% then a new page comes up with the message "Setup was unable to
format the partition. The disk may be damaged". Odd I thought as it was

brand new hard drive. Tried again but this time doing a quick NTFS

format.
Seemed to get through that OK, then it started to copy files from CD, then
got a message "could not find xxx file" (or something). Tried this a few
times and the file which it stopped at seemed to be random. Maybe it was
the CD, I thought...

snip

may be a RAM problem