Old November 27th 16, 01:09 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Silver Slimer[_3_]

Default Can't format 64 GB USB flash drives as FAT32?

On 2016-11-25 6:06 PM, Ant wrote:
Hello.

I noticed both updated 64bit Windows 7 HPE SP1 & 10 EE won't let me
reformat my new 64 GB flash drives as FAT32 (default originally).
Their Explorers only gave me NTFS & exFAT. Why no old FAT32? Not
everything know exFAT & NTFS.

Thank you in adance.

There are limitations to FAT32 partition sizes as far as I know. The
same way that FAT16 was limited to 2GB (if I remember correctly), FAT32
has limitations of 4GB for file sizes so it would be an issue for you
going forward and the filesystem is therefore to be avoided.

https://wiki.vuze.com/w/FAT32_file_size_limit

To get around the FAT32 file size limit, you
can use stuff like a segmented ZIP.

If you had a 7GB DVD, it could be stored as three
2GB chunks and a smaller last chunk.

That makes FAT32 fine for sneakernet transfers,
but segmented ZIPs aren't all that convenient
otherwise.

Your movie player won't know what to do with the ZIP.

I like exFAT myself and Linux _does_ support it as long as you install
the necessary utils. In Ubuntu, installing the exfat-fuse and
exfat-utils package will allow it to work albeit it won't transfer as
rapidly as it does in Windows. If that's the concern the original poster
had (it not working in the free OS), it should make him feel better to
know that it's compatible.

--
Silver Slimer
Fingerprint: e58428b2633833a3b0c9bb7e40819166642245b7