Old October 10th 15, 10:47 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Shadow[_2_]

Default Best format for USB flash drives nowadays?

On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 14:29:43 -0400, JF Mezei

On 2015-10-09 13:09, Alan Browne wrote:

Where FAT32 is concerned most of my flash cards are formatted in camera
(FAT32) and files there are about 32 MB. No need for anything larger.

Consider a HD movie that might be 6 to 8 gigs. Sometimes easier way to
transfer it is via USB.

Or you make a .ZIp backup of a collection of photos that exceeds 4GB
onto a .ZIP. The .ZIP file is greater than 4 gigs.

I think almost if not all zip utilities allow you to divide
the zip into 4GB portions.
Or just use exFAT.
I think the original question was about OS compatibility.
Linux, Mac and Windows support exFAT.
I read something about journaling not working well on flash
cards, which would probably exclude NTFS, and all the Unix extXs from
the OP's choice.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004