Old October 9th 15, 06:09 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Alan Browne

Default Best format for USB flash drives nowadays?

In message
On 2015-10-08 22:16, Ed Light wrote:
I would never use FAT 32 as it falls apart from crashes in a way NTFS
usually doesn't. I would use NTFS.

For interoperability it's best to use FAT32. I've never had any issue
with FAT32 at all in 20 years or so that it's been around (that's an
awful lot of machines and disks and flash drives.

Then you have very limited needs. FAT32 doesn't support files over 4GB.

I have a lot of needs, just no needs for Windows files larger than 4GB.

Where FAT32 is concerned most of my flash cards are formatted in camera
(FAT32) and files there are about 32 MB. No need for anything larger.

My USB thumb drives over 32GB are formatted exFAT.

My large USB keys are formatted for Mac. No need for anything else. YMMV.