Old October 6th 09, 11:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One[_2_]

Default Be careful of Windows update

A few things make daily AV software updates overkill:

- Just because a zero-day virus is in the wild doesn't mean it has infected
the file you happen to be downloading today. In fact virus propagation on
the internet takes time.
- When an AV software developer is made aware of a new virus in the wild,
they still need time to analyze it and develop the signature, so even daily
AV updates will lag behind virus threats by a few days.
- Signatures is only one means of detecting viruses, the other being
heuristics.

"Anton Kolakov" wrote in message
First of One wrote:
Checking for AV updates daily is really overkill. :-) I update my Avira
Antivir definitions once a month and I download all kinds of cracks and
no-CD patches without infection.

Never heard of Zero Day virii? AV should be checked for updates every day
if you are going to bother running AV software. AV software is usually
updated every day too.