Old October 3rd 09, 09:20 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Benjamin Gawert

Default Be careful of Windows update

* Anton Kolakov:
For some reason Windows update is offering people to install an ATI
driver and claiming it is an important update instead of optional. I
already have latest driver so there is no way I need this driver. If you
have auto-update on, which I don't, it will install automatically which
has happened to a few people already. The drivers at Windows update do
not have OpenGL driver so if you have any games that use OpenGL and this
update installs you will have to mess around with installing ATI
download driver again.

I noticed the same problem, Windows update installed an older driver
(identified as Catalyst 9.7 by CCC) when I had 9.9 already installed, so
I had to reinstall 9.9 afterwards.

It doesn't seem to be limited to ATI drivers. On my laptop with Nvidia
gfx I was offered an older driver as "critical update" today.

Ben