Old August 9th 18, 12:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default "Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

On Thu, 9 Aug 2018 00:52:41 -0400, Bill wrote:

I've heard that the reliability of SSDs far exceeds that of the
mechanical hard drives (for, in fact, an obvious reason--no
moving parts). The "trim" software for my Intel SSD even provides
an indication of the drive's reliability (I'm not sure how well
that works). I do regular backups too.

I get a little confused on these new array memory schemes, the 3D
stacking of 2- or 3-bit address advantages. Presumably MLC isn't
quite as volatile a restructure of technological accountability --
apart from caching advantages, if and when employed and neither to
exclude SLC. Generally and apart upper-end drives reflecting that
price premium when exclusively employed. And then there's also the
whole controller issue, perhaps more recognizable characteristically,
enough so for indications of established baseline performance.

Crucial and Samsung would seem most of all dominating, although I must
say all my SSDs also are theirs.

Leaving the residual of the indicative subject to TLC NAND, which is
presently going through marketing loops and spins. There's now a new
all-time low hitting, every day, a SSD market for TTC. And they can
very aggressive in purporting unique merits of both memory and
controller structures, hitherto unavailable from a constraints of
technological understanding.

As if almost a sideshow to the deluge and onus of any
cost-to-performance, obvious from both the warranty intention,
synonymous to total terabytes rewritten, a drive hypothetically is
projected to withstand.

A wide field, as it is now, covering not an inconsiderable amount of
means available, once seen from a focal objective where industry is
marketing an important distinction of SDDs now, and those SDDs which
shortly have preceded them.

And for these "everyday" sale TLC items, your nickel indeed will
stretch far, squeezed, before the buffalo ultimately squats;- and, as
is in keeping the plurality of things, there will be a dearth of
realworld reviews, among those scant few, too conspicuous to not
include, whom invariably express both displeasure at near or immediate
failure, upon assuming receipt of their "everyday" TLC SDD, usually
with a side-barb towards a faulty warranty mechanism skewed from
industrial clout.

With actually for a moment's pause, if hardly given to reassess, that
neither Samsung, nor Crucial, would realistically ignore the same TLC
3D NAND technology, from a standpoint of applicable popularly they're
favored when stepping out and onto the razor-edge's delineating this
technological void.

Less a matter of end- than deferring to the gloss-reviews from actual
hardware sites, I find, where manufacturers traditionally supply
subject merchandise for testing purposes, assessment and publicity.