Old May 16th 08, 11:28 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

Default Wireless adapter: need a new one

wrote in message
On May 15, 10:55 pm, "S.Lewis" wrote:
wrote in message

I picked up a Trendnet TEW-424UB usb wireless adapter for my parents'
computer. It has been pretty flaky. The first few days, it
frequently worked for only a few minutes, before needing to be
unplugged and then re-plugged in. Then I stopped using the little usb
extension cord that came with it (which was useful, because the
adapter is large enough to prevent the use of the slot next to it),
and plugged it directly into the usb slot. We didn't have any
problems for a week. Now the last few times we have turned on the
computer, it has not worked unless we unplug it and then replug it in
(and sometimes that doesn't even work). I am going to be returning
this piece of crap.

I see on Dell's web site that you can select a PCI 802.11g wireless
adapter when buying a computer. Anyone know what brand/model that
is? I will assume that if Dell is selling it, then it probably works
for most of their customers.

What model/number is the folks computer and what OS are they running.

If, for example, they're running WinMe then what you're seeing wouldn't
surprise me at all.

Inspiron 530 w/ Intel E8200, 2 GB RAM. Vista Home Premium.

I would swap it for either a comparable Linksys or DLink USB adapter -or -
replace it with a wireless PCI (card) adapter from either of the latter.

Example:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...tCode=10005792

Stew