Old May 19th 10, 07:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Default How many cores?

Paul nospam needed.com wrote:

For gaming, core loading tends to be asymmetric. Usually one
thread of execution is running one core at 100%, while
the other cores are loaded to 30%. You might see a 100-30-30-30
four times as fast. Balancing the threads of execution is
difficult.

One possible problem with running a game that requires the 190% CPU
power in your example is that one core might max out and the game
might stutter. Does not matter whether that happens on a dual core or
a quad core, but probably more likely on a dual core (without being
as easy to correct). Being able to balance the load is useful and not
all that difficult. I do a decent job of that manually here with a
voice-activated script. It looks like this.

"tasker":
StartApp(r"C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe")+
WaitWindow(title="Windows Task Manager",timeout=4)+
Pause("40")+
Mouse("(222,102)/10,left/50")+#arrange by virtual memory size
PlaySound(r"C:\Program Files\VoiceWorks\beep.wav")+
Pause("200")+
Mouse("right/100")+#right-click on process
Key("a/100")+#affinity
Key("space/10,down/5,space/10")+#toggle affinity
Pause("100")+
Key("enter/10")+#exit dialog
Key("escape/10")+#exit task manager
PlaySound(r"C:\Program Files\VoiceWorks\boop.wav"),

Some guy made a script for Forged Alliance that worked better than
what I do for Supreme Commander 2. But either way, it can be done
programmatically without much difficulty. Unfortunately, I do not
know how to update the Core Optimizer for Forged Alliance.