Old January 27th 06, 01:33 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default Boot.ini question

In ,
Dave C. va escriu
A line in my boot.ini is:

default=multi (0) disk (0) rdisk (0) partition (2) \WINDOWS...

I figured out (I think) that rdisk (0) is drive 0 or the C: drive.

The former. More precisely, disk 0x80 as seen by BIOS.
Will become \Device\Harddisk0, unless you got the 0x7B bugcheck.

Also partition (2) must be the second partition in the C: drive or
drive 0.

The second partition of the drive 0. Which partition happens to be your C:
drive (a volume or drive or letter is a file system, so it lies inside a
partition).

Correct me if I am wrong and what do the other two items "multi (0)"
and "disk (0)' refer to?

Much more details at http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/ARC,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/102873 and also .../227704.

multi() refers to some kind of "multi-purpose" bus; I never saw any other
than one such bus, thus multi(0). For Windows NTLDR it really means it
should rely on BIOS (INT13h).

disk() refers to some disk subsystem on the bus; since BIOS only has only
one way to address disks, it is always disk(0).

rdisk(N) is the "real" disk number (as assigned by the BIOS - 0x80; and up
to 3 according to MS doc).

Antoine