Old January 17th 05, 04:14 AM
Rod Speed

"Kevin" wrote in message
The boot disk for my XP system has been having a number of bad sector problems
lately, so I decided to try to clone it to a new drive. I installed a 2nd
drive, formatted it, and used Norton Ghost 2003 to do a clone of the boot (C
drive to it.

When the clone is complete, I power off, swap the cable and set the jumpers,
but get a "boot failure from previous device" error on startup (after BIOS
screen but before Windows).

I can verify that the clone worked by booting off the original drive with the
clone as a slave-- all the files seem to be there.

What might I be doing wrong?

You basically have to unplug the original drive for the first
boot after the drive has been cloned and boot off the copy.

XP will claim to have detected new hardware and ask to
be allowed to reboot. Once you have allowed that, you
can put the original drive back in the system if you want,
if you say want to use it for video capture etc.

If XP can see both the original and the copy during
the first boot after the original has been cloned, it
gets seriously confused, even if you boot off the
copy and it uses files off the original for the boot.