Old July 8th 19, 10:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Default ADDENDUM: Cables Reproducing?

John McGaw wrote:

Except that I don't have a single computer with a FireWire connector. I
can't think of a single peripheral that I've ever owned that would have
had FireWire either. That is the source of my bafflement. Oh well, they
are bundled up and stashed away out of sight so that is what matters most.

Oh, and I haven't seen a TBC since somewhere around 1985 when they were
huge rack-mounted devices. I used them to allow Sony U-Matic machines to
interface to my broadcast equipment. No FireWire there either...

Both the current PCs have Firewire. It's turned off
at BIOS level.

Microsoft removed the Firewire networking stack.
It's possible the other stack items (61883, SBC2?)
are still around.

The only thing I've got here, is a couple Firewire
enclosures (so that would be SBC2). But they have a
137GB drive limit, so they just sit in the corner now.

I would expect all the Macs to have Firewire.

And Firewire was a popular interface on some of the
AV rack stuff. There are some tray-shaped recording
devices with Firewire. And you could daisy chain some
of these things. The bus power, while not fantastic,
was a feature for such chains. (The PC would do
bus power with +12V, while the Mac, I think it may have
used +25V or so at some point in time. The PC doesn't
"stretch" to the limits of VBUS, so you don't
get quite as much power capability in watts.)

https://www.alesis.com/products/view...mix-8-firewire

Another example. Firewire on the front. USB and Eth on the back.
This would represent a product in transition, trying to
support older users as well as newer users.

https://www.avshop.ca/recording-digi...ayer-interface

If you went back far enough in time, those boxes only
had Firewire on them. And you wanted two Firewire
connectors for daisy-chaining.

My two enclosures are particularly pitiful. The first
does 30MB/sec. When daisy-chained to a second enclosure,
the second enclosure gets 20MB/sec. The two connectors
portion uses an active-repeater, which seems to eat into
thruput.

Paul