Old July 6th 19, 12:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Peter Jason

Default Cables Reproducing?

On Thu, 4 Jul 2019 23:15:18 +1200, ~misfit~
wrote:

On 3/07/2019 9:38 AM, Peter Jason wrote:
On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 09:42:57 -0400, John McGaw wrote:

It has to be that these things are breeding. There used to be a joking
theory that wire coat hangers were reproducing and trying to take over the
world but it seems that computer cables are in the game now.

Do you find that your stock of cables is expanding without your knowledge?
I just looked in the closet in my "office" and found a bag of unexplained
USB cables -- mostly A to B types -- that really shouldn't be there. I
already had a rack on one wall holding cables and I swear that there are
twice as many now as there were a year ago -- all sorts of cables, not just
USB but video, power, extenders, and who knows what else. I'm almost afraid
to look in the downstairs "closet of computing antiquity" for fear of what
will be there now.

What does on do with such excess? Does dumping them at the recycling center
help?

I feel your pain.
And I solved this with....
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/...raid-enclosure
.... and mine has now 7 HDDs. Connectrion is with a single USB3
cable to the computer and one power cord to the wall (albeit too
short).
No more wretched molex catenaries and Sata connectors that all produce
a rat's nest of tangle.

So I found this and figured that, as it's less than half of the price of the 8 HDD version and I
can get one now without saving (and another later..) this might be the way to go.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003X26VV4/ref=psdc_160354011_t1_B005GYDMYG

However it says that it doesn't support '4Kn Native Drives'. I don't think I have any of those (not
sure how to tell, can't find it on HDD Sentinel's 'Information" tab. It just says 4096 bytes per
sector [Advanced Format] for my HDDs.. The highest capacity drive I have at the moment is 4TB.

Is this likely to be a problem for me, now or in the near future? I'm glad I saw that, I was just
about to order one.

I am not clued up to say. Mine is working well and some HDDs are
bitlockered. I have noticed no loss of performance (speed). Another
advantage is the ability to move the unit across to another computer
if desired as well as locking it away in a safe if necessary. I've
had to buy one of these......
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/...c-barebone-kit
.....as my main business computer now (this holds two SSDs) and the old
computer for all else. The OS on this old 9-yold computer is on one
working Sata socket and all else from the USBs at the side.