Old February 11th 04, 02:21 AM
*Vanguard*

"Muttly" said in :
Hey all.
My PSU (I can't remember the make or model, but its 550w) has 2 fans.
1 points of the case, the other is inside the case pointing either up
or down, both fans are internal to the psu. My questions is which way
should I have the inside fan pointing? If it points up its got bout
4cm clearence between it and the top of the case. If it points down
its right over my cpu. For better cooling which way do you think it
should be pointing? If theres a site or something that will give a
good reason as to which way, a link would be great. Better yet if
someone has experience as to which way is best that'd be great 2.
Thanks.
Martin.

The fans must provide airflow in the *same* direction through the power
supply. Think about it: if you put 2 fans against each other but they were
blowing against each other (one blows at the other which blows back, or they
both try to suck away from each other), you get very little airflow (and
instead just get turbulence) unless the airflow for one fan is much higher
than the other and can overpower it.

The fan on the backside of the power supply should be blowing outward (i.e.,
from inside the power supply to the outside). The bottom fan should be
blowing into the power supply. That way the two fans are pulling or blowing
air through the power supply in the same direction (disregarding the bend of
the airflow from bottom to side).

From your description, is the bottom fan (which should be blowing upward and
into the power supply) actually on the *outside* of the power supply? It is
likely the power supply's case consume the standard volume as spec'ed for an
ATX power supply. That means the bottom fan being on the outside of the
power supply is extending beyond the volume set aside for the power supply
and intruding into the volume that would be assume usable by the motherboard
and any components sitting atop it.

*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***