Old September 7th 14, 10:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
rickman

Default Fanless or near fanless PC 2014 ? (sub 5 watts)

On 9/5/2014 11:57 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
I need to clarify something though.

The scare about running software 24/7 also has to do with the internet,
software, windows, acrobat, flash, and all kinds of updating going on.

Nowadays system gets bothered with nags about software updates,
especially windows itself can shutdown the system without ever asking.

Worse it can start up a PC on its own. I have an XP desktop that can
start itself from the OFF state. I don't know if this is from the
network card or what. But usually when it does turn itself on when I
turn it off it does a Windows update.

Other software might perhaps do it on startup... but not sure.

So Microsoft itself has kinda made me scared of running software 24/7
because of their updates.

You can turn off the automatic updating.

Scarey idea to be running a heavy-duty evolver and suddenly this
update-crap starts which can fail/rollback and have all kinds of
annoying consequences.

Could also jeapordize final results or influence calculations etc.

Though this updating behaviour can be termined/disabled but then system
is at risk of hacking attempt which is even more scarier lol.

It was at risk before the update was available, so what changes? When
do you want to do the updates?

So all I am saying is leaving it unattended... hmmmm bad idea nowadays.

May have to think about a seperated system/computer disconnected from
internet, to run task nonstop

But if system must be connected to internet to run the task and update
stuff to the net then you can start to see the problem a bit

Yeah, get used to it.

--

Rick