Old September 7th 14, 02:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Fanless or near fanless PC 2014 ? (sub 5 watts)

On Sun, 07 Sep 2014 04:01:29 -0400, Paul wrote:

The best thing to do, is find a review of the new 5W processor,
and see how the power throttling affects stuff the reviewer
tries to do. I don't see the point in wasting $1000 on
some box, test it for ten minutes, and conclude it's a dud.

16micron fabrication is heavy stuff (probably never owned anything
below 65nm yet, myself). AMD on the other side with all their various
125watt quads - bit of a wider gamut than expected, at least for me,
since when 3Ghz and early dual cores were widely realized as both for
limitations and a scalar direction of computing in a future of
parallel processing.

So now that's a 5Ghz potential with 4Ghz the new norm (for high end),
and a magnitude ten times smaller than yesterday's 90/100micron
lithography/fab technology.

I mean already and hardly out, at least for that Haswell (G3258
50w/20micron) -- it's just an offset of above 10micron and the reviews
are already in. Also, took awhile for Intel to iron out some inherent
problems in going that small. It's the only and counterwise Intel
released that's clock multiplier unlocked -- at a common expectation
of near 4Ghz results (1.5Ghz for some).

And they are loving it up so much they could literally eat that
processor alive.

I don't care that much to overclock. Less bang per thrill these days
for me. More interesting is how it's being price angled ('Master
Play' - as you say) -- notably I've seen it now twice packaged-dealt
by Newegg for effectively peanuts. Two cheap(est) mini-PC form build
MBs, both times in the neighborhood of $75 with MB & a G3258 included.
To me that's saying around potential $25 base/inside wholesale cost
for each, factoring for Newegg to shave off maybe $20 profit off a
sale like that. And that's with Haswells just coming out. AMD's
already been placed a few months already at $40 with their lineup of
"throttled" quad cores -- Intel's just putting a different spin on
their end of the game with 4+Ghz.

For lowend priced new processing offerings - I think it's a hell'va
kick, advantages for advanced technology and what's possible now.
Disadvantages: not too crazy, at all, about little dinky MBs with no
slots to realize the bottom price line. Nor do I know much at all
about what it would take and what issues might be involved with, for
the most, graphic-subsets included on these "bargain" CPUs. Sure as
Jupiter's Great & Hairy Blue Balls of Lightening, I'm not buying one
for Windows 8 or 9 compliance factors (nor, however encouraging the
thought, *nix variants).

But I'm cool with pushing 10micron and heating ramifications. Get's
the jobs done with enough power to spare, I'm definitely cool with
that. Nope, not even asking to give up a token fan. Even my stereo
units, old and new toroidal transformer technology push a lot of heat,
tend to like 130F operation ranges -- then, when I add in the vacuum
amps (around 500F at the emitters) on top of solidstate amps, just
imagine: Why, hello Hades!, it must be Summertime in Hell. (Though I
don't hear any advocacy groups setting themselves on fire in
candle-lit protests against 100 modern years of electrical usages.)