Old September 7th 14, 09:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Default Fanless or near fanless PC 2014 ? (sub 5 watts)

Skybuck Flying wrote:
I need to clarify something though.

The scare about running software 24/7 also has to do with the internet,
software, windows, acrobat, flash, and all kinds of updating going on.

Nowadays system gets bothered with nags about software updates,
especially windows itself can shutdown the system without ever asking.

Other software might perhaps do it on startup... but not sure.

So Microsoft itself has kinda made me scared of running software 24/7
because of their updates.

Scarey idea to be running a heavy-duty evolver and suddenly this
update-crap starts which can fail/rollback and have all kinds of
annoying consequences.

Could also jeapordize final results or influence calculations etc.

Though this updating behaviour can be termined/disabled but then system
is at risk of hacking attempt which is even more scarier lol.

So all I am saying is leaving it unattended... hmmmm bad idea nowadays.

May have to think about a seperated system/computer disconnected from
internet, to run task nonstop

But if system must be connected to internet to run the task and update
stuff to the net then you can start to see the problem a bit

Bye,
Skybuck.

Automatic updates on Windows Update, may require a reboot. I
run Windows Update manually, as the quickest means to control
that.

As for other kinds of updates, no, they should not affect the
integrity of a long-term calculation. I can safely run a 1TB
file through 7ZIP compression, and no matter how many times
Adobe Flash or Java updates itself while that is going on,
still get the exact same result. Updates don't have to be
destructive.

*******

The little 5W PC designs, will be optimized for playing
Hollywood movie content. And not for any serious purpose.
The processor will be soldered to the PCB, so you cannot
upgrade, and it's also expensive at $281 each. If you ran
Prime95 on it, it'll be running at 1.1GHz due to throttling.
If you browse the web with it, the "pulses of computing"
mean the average temperature will be better and so the
CPU stays running at a higher (turbo) speed. It'll be a
better match for "content consumption" users than
"content creator" users. It won't run Crysis at 60FPS.

And Intel are marketing geniuses when it comes to pricing.
Stick with mainstream products, to avoid paying
"too much for nothing". The 5W product is just a
tease, and is not mainstream-worthy. When the 1W processor
comes out, the price on the 5W processors will then
be a decent price.

The best thing to do, is find a review of the new 5W processor,
and see how the power throttling affects stuff the reviewer
tries to do. I don't see the point in wasting $1000 on
some box, test it for ten minutes, and conclude it's a dud.

They've made progress on power, but for your usage pattern,
expect they've maybe chopped the power in half, and you'll
still need a fan. Just a smaller fan. With a reasonable
power target (compared to your X2), you'll also be able
to adjust the selection of processor, for one with a better
price. I can see an Intel dual core for $117 for example.
Which is better than $281 for a thermally throttled tablet CPU.

The only reason Intel makes these, is to prevent market
erosion from ARM CPU products. They have to make compromises
to get to that power level. And let some reviewer figure out
what those compromises are. Save your money for something
a bit more worthwhile.

Paul