Old November 9th 05, 10:33 AM
Van Shania

Default Confussion

I have an asus a7n8x-x mobo ans an xp2600. I set the fsb up from 166 to 200,
lock my agp at 66mhz, my samsung pc3200 at SPD and raised my voltage from
1.65 to 1.775 and it runs with no problems. my vid card is an ati AIW 9600.
scored 10000 on 3dmark 2001se

wrote in message
Ok guys,
How about a little help here? I have tried my damnedest to over clock my
system. "they" say that the MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR is one of the best for it.
"they" say that the Athlon XP2500 is one of the best for it. "they" say
that you need quality parts, a good power supply and lots of cooling. So,
I bought a K7N2 delta ILSR board, an XP2500 processor, an Antec true power
420 power supply, a Raidmax not sure of model case with 4 case fans plus
2 fans in the power supply. Plus I added one of the fans that sucks air
out thru your PCI slots right below my video card to pull it's hot air
out. As for quality parts, beyond the mb, cpu pwr supply.... I have 1 gig
of ddr 400 pc3200 Geil ram, I had, an ATI Radeon 9800 pro, but just
upgraded to an ATI X800 GTO video card. I bought a coolmaster cpu heatsink
and fan. But, I cant over clock my system for ****!!!!
When I do, my performance in benchmarks goes DOWN. The only thing I can
figure is the culprit is.... my Antec true power 420 power supply is
crap!!!! My voltages suck!!! My 3.3v reads 3.26 my 5v reads 4.95, and my
12v reads 11.64 with MSI's PC alert, and desktop monitor.
But, when I replace it with my Raidmax original power supply my voltages
are similar. My temps are good, my CPU runs between 125 and 140 degrees F.
At these temps, I think I have alot of room to over clock, right? Do I
need to put something on my CPU to over clock it? Is there something I'm
missing here? Or are some CPU's just not overclockable?
Could an old, 40gb HD have something to do with it? I have a SAMSUNG
SV4003H 40gb hd as my C, a WD WD400BB as my D. a 56x cd rom and a 16X DVD
R/W.
I am at wits end as what to do here......
Not that it's anything that is drastically needed I mean I get decent fps
in doom3, BF2 the 2 games I play But, I just figure that I should be
able to over clock this mofo up to the 2.13 ghz that the 2500 is noted
for.
I've read that the 2500 WILL run at 400mhz FSB which I assume will give
you quite a performance boost I can run it at 350, but as I said, my
performance takes a hit for some reason.
I cant see the rational of upgrading to a 64 bit system right now as they
are running similar speeds around 1.8-2.5 ghz. And most games are not
made to run @64 bit anyways. I guess I just dont get the whole OC'ing
thing and what the hell makes it fly. Am I supposed to short something on
my CPU? Or do something funky? Or is it just a bios tweak? My wife asked
me what I wanted for Christmas and I told her a water cooling system for
my puter, but, hell, if my temps are good with the cooling I have, then
even water cooling isn't going to help me, I"m thinking I've got like a
border line CPU or something else......
Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated!!!! I've been
building systems since 1991 but haven't delved into overclocking, but
built this rig so I could.... but, I cant..... lol........... Thanks for
any help anyone can give me.
--
{SFU} Jackyl

MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR