Old November 7th 05, 11:25 AM
Wes Newell

Default Confussion

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 03:38:03 +0000, jedmister1 wrote:

benchmarks @ 190mhz are Aquamark3d 47,674, 3dmark03 16,145. But, it
crashes in BF2 @158 degrees. I'm thinking a copper core CPU cooler might
help. Then again, I know of a place where I can just get an Athlon XP3200
for about $160....... sigh decisions decisions decisions.....

158F (70C) is way too hot. Either your cooler is lousy or it's not
installed properly. if it's hot to the touch, then it's just not good
enough. If it's not hot to the touch, then it's not installed properly.

But, Can you use XP pro? Or do you have to get XP 64 edition? The 64's
are only running around 2-2.6 ghz too, so I dont see the big performance
jump advantage... I guess if I saw a "middle of the road" system running

Just because it's a 64bit cpu doesn't mean you need a 64 bit OS. It's
backwards compatible. You can even run dos on it. And you can't compare
the clock speeds between the K7 and K8 cpu's to determine performance. The
K8 executes instructions in less clock cyles than the K7 does, just like
the K7 uses less cycles than the P4. If you're going to use clockspeeds
for comparison then it has to be in the same cpu family to be accurate.
And even that's not totally accurate due to implimentation of newer
instruction sets in newer models, different cache sizes, etc..