Old December 17th 18, 09:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default New system build - reboot loop when attempting to boot from SATA HDD

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 11:11:14 -0600, Char Jackson
wrote:

(Yes, it's UEFI, but I'm used to calling it BIOS.)

I've built at least several hundred PC systems for people since the
early 1990's, most of which have gone smoothly, but this one currently
has me stumped. This build is supposed to be for me, if I can get it
working.

-

Have or can you optionally turn off UEFI for Legacy compatibility?
Does the Intel CPU itself qualify for Microsoft non-support for "newer
devices", for anything but the latest Windows 10 drivers?

When I tried to bring up XP on an AMD octal core I had to shut down
everything on the BIOS CPU page. I could only stabilize XP by
allowing it adapt to paired-cores, one at a time, from a successful
boot as a 2-core system (BIOS allows turning off all other cores),
then 4 cores, six, then eight. Each time rebooting, upon a successful
load, with an addition paired-core added. Which I also binary-imaged,
the OS, to avoid possibly having to the go back a dual-core, as much
procedurally, in starting over in the event of a misstep.

All Legacy BIOS in these woods. And other than the cores, I haven't
yet gotten back to the BIOS to begin refreshing my knowledge of the
individual settings, to test virtually everything else I turned off
and hobbled on the CPU page.

Sounds to me like you're also into BIOS, except it's a more advanced
stage, and you need to call it for what it is - UEFI. I would. I'd
also consider turning it off. (All or selectively no doubt is an
interesting quandary.) Nevertheless, a reasonable thing to expect to
ask, even if I've never owned one, at the very least for the sake of
compatibility prior to a state of UEFI.

Just as it would be to assume ASRock (an ASUS subsidiary) wouldn't
expect people only to run Windows 10 on your Intel chipsets, but as
well provides W7 drivers. However that works in a latter case with an
OS designed before UEFI.