Old February 24th 14, 12:30 AM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.windows7.general
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default How many x86 instructions?

On 23/02/2014 6:15 PM, BillW50 wrote:
On 2/23/2014 4:41 PM, charlie wrote:
The front panel on many of the old mainframes and minicomputers allowed
direct entry of machine code, and was usually used to manually enter
such things as a "bootstrap", or loader program.

The way I recall is any computer only understands machine code and
nothing else. Anything else must be converted to machine at some point.

I know what Charlie is talking about. When he talks about directly
entering machine code, it means typing in the binary codes directly,
even without niceness of an assembler to translate it partially into
English readable. This would be entering numbers into memory directly,
like 0x2C, 0x01, 0xFB, etc., etc.

Yousuf Khan