Old July 2nd 03, 08:01 AM
Ricky W. Hunt

Default No Soundfont Capability

I just bought a Dimension 4600. I had them install an SBLive (and they
"disabled" the onboard one and the one they installed is some 5.1 model, I'm
guessing some OEM version) because I'm going to use this computer for music
production and it usually works better if you have the soundcard on it's
own. Everything has been working fine (systems sounds, MP3's, etc.) during
setup (though I've done no music production yet).

But when I go to load a soundfont I don't see any place to do it. Usually
there's an "AudioHQ" under Creative in the start menu and you can load
soundfonts from it. So I download Vienna just to audition a couple of
soundfonts and I get a message from Vienna on startup that says:

"Unable to initialize Soundfont Compatible Device Driver!

There is no Soundfont Compatible Device detected.
Please make sure that the device is inserted or installed in your system."

I've just come from Win98SE and know nothing about WinXP and have no idea
what to do. I ran the Creative Diagnostic tool and it says everything checks
out but I don't know if it checks for soundfont capability. It says the MIDI
function is working but that's something separate.

Does anyone know what I can do? Dell's tech support was pretty useless.

--
Thanks,
Ricky W. Hunt