Old January 17th 20, 01:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Default PCI-Z scan shows firewire 1394 on winfast NF4SK8AA motherboard? WTF ?

wrote:
Oh motherboard manual does mention it as optional... maybe it's on the motherboard, but no firewire connector on back i/o plate ?

Could also be a lie and it's actually a spy chip or something, weird.

Back i/o plate does not show any firewire connectors..

Bye,
Skybuck.

There could be a header on the motherboard for Firewire.

Check the lower left corner of the motherboard. The manual
says there could be two headers in that corner. If the
option is not installed, those headers will be missing
and not soldered into place. Notice that when doing
a text search in Adobe Acrobat, the "1394" string cannot
be found, even though the text is on PDF page number 12.

And they don't have to provide an I/O plate if they
don't want to.

For example, my fancy motherboard turned out to have
RS232 and I didn't know it at the time. I had to make
my own I/O plate out of materials on hand, so I could
use it.

I have a couple disk enclosures for Firewire, but they
have a 137GB disk size limit and are no good for modern
hardware. They're retired now. The enclosures used to
transfer at 30MB/sec (a bit slow for Firewire devices).
You need Firewire 800 to get a better transfer rate,
and to make the connectors useful for backups. I have
Firewire on computers here, but it's always the
cheap Firewire 400 stuff (slow). No Firewire 800 on
anything I own. And while Firewire 1600 was proposed,
I don't think it ever shipped as chips.

Paul