Old May 28th 06, 04:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Default AM2 vs. Socket 939

"Carlo Razzeto" wrote in message
.. .
"Boe" wrote in message
. ..
From what I can tell it was AMD's way of say we have new chips too - pay
no attention to the man behind the curtain. AMD makes great chips but
they haven't developed anything lately so they had to have you pay
attention to the hand shaking the shiny keys so you wouldn't notice what
the other camp was doing.

I can't say that either company has a significantly better chip. AMD
currently has the better chip in my opinion. Intel may have the better
chip with the Core 2 - only time will tell. I think AMD is going to

have
to do some major work to impress me at this point though. They've been
"tweaking" their chips for the past 1 1/2 years, in my opinion not
evolving them. I don't consider the AM2 evolution but more of a tweak.
Hopefully the new core2 will prompt AMD to drop prices again and make

some
significant improvements to their chips. Maybe both companies have hit

ceiling but I doubt it. Just my thoughts.

No, this is AMD's way of moving to DDR2 so they are ready to take

advantage
of it for upcomming chips. Basically they want to give Enthusiests and

such
people time to switch over to DDR2 before they really *need* to. That way
when more memory hungry chips come along every one will already have DDR2

on
hand.

Carlo

That's pretty much the case,DDR will eventually be phased out.From the
reviews I've read,there's a very slight performance increase,but only in the
the higher end models.If Intels new chips do prove better,AMD will
undoubtedly come up with an answer,that's the nature of the competition
between the two companies.I think in the end price and quality will
determine the winner,whoever can come up with a dependable,competitive chip
for less.AMD had the edge in that,but they're starting to catch up to Intel
in price.