Old August 24th 13, 12:26 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

Default Paper-feed fault on HP laser printer

On Thursday, August 22, 2013 8:41:19 AM UTC-7, Brian Carroll wrote:
I have an HP Color LaserJet CP1515n printer, bought in Nov 09. It

failed after a few months and was replaced under the warranty.

The printer is connected to my small home LAN and used mainly

with a PC running Windows XP and the supplied HP Driver and an

Acorn RiscPC running RISC OS and Postscript 3 and a JetDirect

connection. The Windows and Acorn machines can use the network to

pass appropriate files (eg PDF) for printing via the other

computer if required. All this setup has been in place for a few

years but only 2 sets of colour and 3 black cartridges have been

used, and it still provides excellent colour or B+W print output.

About 4 months ago a faulty paper feed began and has resisted all

my attempts to clear it: when a multi-page document is sent to

print, page 1 prints normally but as soon as is has finished an

error is signalled 'Jam in tray 2'` (see page 103 of the manual).

Removing tray 2 shows a sheet of paper lying on the table or just

slightly into the intake slot. The paper is unmarked and can be

re-used. The printer then has to be OK-ed from its panel and then

re-initialises and calibrates itself - wasting several minutes.

Occasionally the first 2 pages (never more) print OK and the jam

occurs on the 3rd. Fortunately I have not recently needed to

print documents with many pages or multiple copies so I have been

putting up with the problem: now I am in better health I would

like to fix it.

Needless to say, I have tried various weights and types of paper

and everything related I can find in the manual (not much). I

would be eternally grateful if some guru here could suggest a

solution.

Thanks for reading this,

Brian.

Brian Carroll, Ripon, North Yorkshire, UK

I'm the moderator at fixyourownprinter. If you don't find an answer, you're always welcome to start a new topic.
Every laser printer HP has ever made uses a solenoid to release the pickup roller. To quieten the metal on metal sound when it actuates, they have always used this piece of foam which disintegrates into sticky goo and causes the release plate to stick. This allows the pickup roller to continuously turn and pick up papers til it jams. 20+ years and they have never improved it. Fixed thousands of them with this issue.