Old April 4th 19, 11:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John B. Smith

Default Chrome blasts XP out of the water when I Exit from it

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 01:24:48 -0500, Paul
wrote:

John B. Smith wrote:
My employer uses Google Chrome for their OS (it's a school). I
installed some variant of the Chrome browser on my WindowsXP desktop
and am able to sign onto the school's website, get my email, view
paychecks, ask for time off, info on snow days etc. Very useful. I
can't make out what version of Chrome I installed.

The problem I'm having is Exiting from this site when I'm done. About
25% of the time XP will disappear in a blue screen with white letters
and a reboot takes place. When windos comes up I am notified that
Windows encountered a very serious problem and don't I want to send
the info to MicroSoft. (I'm sure MS will be thrilled to get any info
on XP which they want to disappear anyway.) I've found an Exit to
click on in Chrome, not just the big x in the upper right corner,
doesn't help. Can't use Taskmaster to close it either, same blowup.

Does anyone have any ideas how to safely Exit from Google Chrome
without destroying my WinXP session?

Disable hardware acceleration, then retest.

Browsers have hardware acceleration, for things like
compositing and font creation.

https://www.lifewire.com/hardware-ac...chrome-4125122

"... chrome://gpu into the address bar "

Adobe Flash plugin (PPAPI on Chrome) also has hardware
acceleration. Right clicking a video pane, exposes the setting.

Paul

I installed Process Lasso (which is now giving me boot-up nags to
purchase), closed unnecessary Chrome windows and tried Paul's
suggestion to disable hardware accelleration. I haven't had a blowup
in 3 weeks (but after that statement I'll probably get one). If I was
to guess I think Paul's idea was a fix.